Working together to build better futures for people forced to flee.
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, takes the lead in protecting people forced to flee wars and persecution around the world, providing life-saving aid including shelter, food and water to ensure their basic safety, rights and dignity. With 18,879 women and men working in 137 countries, we work tirelessly to make a difference in the lives of 89.3 million forcibly displaced people worldwide.
Our dedicated and professional staff work around the clock in roles including legal protection, community services, public affairs, health and more. Despite the challenges they can face, our staff are proud to work for UNHCR and determined to make a positive impact.
Almost all vacancies are advertised on the UNHCR online recruitment platform, and new opportunities are regularly added. See our Application and selection page to learn more about how to apply, the recruitment process and tips from our HR team on your application.
Junior Professional Officer and United Nations Volunteers roles are advertised outside of this system. See the relevant page for more information on these positions.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing or training). Read about how to avoid scams and fraudulent job offers.
Important notice on UNHCR’s new recruitment platform (launched in October 2022):
For external applicants:
- Please note that staff members will not normally serve in International Professional positions in the country of their nationality. In addition, in case of a first appointment upon recruitment, the assignment must be outside the staff member’s country of nationality. In case of a conversion from National Officer (NO) or General Service (GS) categories, the assignment cannot take place in the same country where the staff member is currently serving as NO or GS (irrespective of nationality).
- Past application data and previously created applicant accounts are not migrated to the new platform. Therefore, when applying for current vacancies, external applicants (not current UNHCR workforce members) should create a new account (“Sign In” on https://unhcr.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External >> Create Account). Once successfully registered, you can start filling in your data and apply for vacancies.
- Applications for vacancies advertised on UNHCR’s old recruitment platform will be duly reviewed and processed in the old platform (but no data will be migrated to the new platform).
- In case of technical difficulties when applying, external applicants (not current UNHCR workforce members) can write to Global Service Desk at [email protected].
For Talent Pool candidates:
- Past applications to Talent Pools have not been migrated to UNHCR’s new recruitment platform.
- As part of the transitional measures, candidates who were successfully accepted to a Talent Pool (now called Evergreens) have received e-mail instructions for re-submitting their application on UNHCR’s new recruitment platform.
- The Evergreens are advertised per grade/ level; candidates can apply to one or more levels. If meeting all eligibility criteria at the given level and subject to functional clearance (if applicable), candidates will be added to the relevant talent pool. Applications will be valid for one year, after which candidates can re-confirm their interest.
- Evergreens are for sourcing candidates for Temporary Appointments (TAs). Candidates considering TA opportunities are recommended to keep an eye on the UNHCR Career website and apply once Evergreens are open for new applications (at the end of 2022).
Who we are looking for
We operate in challenging, volatile and even dangerous contexts, assisting and protecting people making extraordinary efforts to survive. As a front-line organization at the ready in emergencies, we need colleagues who:
- Are passionate about our mission and inspire others with their dedication and work ethic
- Are willing to serve in hardship locations and emergency operations
- Are professionals with high integrity who can respond to the needs of people forced to flee across the globe in a responsible and reliable manner
- Thrive in a diverse and multicultural work environment
- Bring innovative ideas, skills and solutions to help save lives and build a better future for people forced to flee
- Are results-oriented, flexible and determined to make a difference
- Have at least an undergraduate degree from a UNESCO accredited institution (international staff)
- Have successfully completed their secondary education (general/field service)
- Bring relevant work experience and skills
- Are proficient in English (working knowledge of another UN language may be required)
Learn more about how our dedicated staff protect people forced to flee.
Commitment to diversity and inclusion
UNHCR’s workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. We seek to sustain and strengthen this diversity and to ensure equal opportunities, as well as an inclusive working environment, for our entire workforce. Joining us means living, sharing and promoting these core values of inclusion, diversity and gender equality.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
If you are a person with a disability and you expect you may face challenges during the recruitment process, you can indicate it in your application form in our recruitment platform.
There are options to select any health conditions you may have and outline any necessary adjustments related to disabilities during the recruitment phases. Providing this information is optional. It will be treated as strictly confidential and used only for the purpose of finding out how to better assist you during the recruitment process.
If you missed adding it to your application or need further assistance please let us know via email: [email protected].
Adjustments for candidates with disabilities will be provided as best as possible and as needed upon request.
All candidates will be assessed based on meeting the requirements for each vacancy in relation to experience, skills, and education.
Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.