UNHCR Representation in China
Duration: January – July 2019, 6 months
Location: Country Office Beijing (CO Beijing)
Application closing date: 17 January 2019
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was established onDecember 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. The UN Refugee Agency is mandatedto lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problemsworldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives toensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, withthe option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country.
For over 65 years, UNHCR has helped millions of people to restart their lives. They includerefugees, returnees, stateless people, internally displaced and asylum-seekers. Its interventions in theareas of protection, shelter, health and education have been crucial, healing broken pasts andbuilding brighter futures.
The UNHCR Office in China was established in 1979. China has been party to the 1951 Conventionand 1967 Protocol since 1982, but the Government has not yet developed domestic asylumlegislation. Therefore UNHCR registers asylum seekers, conducts individual refugee statusdetermination under its mandate and seeks durable solutions for refugees. UNHCR also strives toprovide direct assistance to the refugee population in mainland China notably because refugees donot have access to Government subsidized services for health and social services. However theassistance budget is limited and can only partially cover basic needs such as food, shelter, andprioritized medical care.
Recently the Government established the National Immigration Administration (NIA) under theMinistry of Public Security (MPS) to oversee all refugee-related matters. Its creation is expected toencourage the Government to consider a greater engagement in asylum and refugee protection.
Building public awareness on refugee issues and the work of UNHCR has been another core area ofwork for UNHCR Beijing Office, with the great contributions of the Goodwill Ambassador Ms. YaoChen, and via the social media platform Weibo.
UNHCR will continue to endeavour working with all stakeholders in China to ensure persons ofconcern receive adequate protection and assistance as well as to seek durable solutions for refugees.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- The intern will work directly in the UNHCR Office in Beijing, under guidance and supervision of theICT/Administrative Associate and s/he will perform the following tasks:
- Inform UNHCR decisions related to individual assistance based on medical and financialneeds;
- Regularly check, monitor and respond to email queries from refugees regarding medical andfinancial assistance;
- Assist in processing emails from persons of concern (POCs) about reimbursement requestsand maintaining a medical record for POCs, especially for cases with special needs;
- Summarize breakdown for medical bills sent by refugees; prepare payment request forreimbursement of medical cost to Finance for further processing;
- Analyze the medical expense to synthetize medical reports and other information directlyobtained from medical contacts provided by persons of concern;
- Present special case and all findings to the Refugee Assistance and Referral Committee(RARC);
- Assist in maintaining an up-to-date list of vulnerable POCs and database on POCs’ requestsfor in-kind donations, and in coordinating with donors for distribution;
- Filing of relevant correspondences related to individual cases;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- A recent graduate (completed studies within 1 year of applying for this internship) or currentstudent in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university;
- Completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in medical science, pharmaceutics orrelated fields;
- Strong interests in international humanitarian field and eager to learn;
- Good communication skills;
- Professional and detail-oriented at work with team spirits;
- Strong awareness of cultural diversity and confidentiality requirements;
- Respect for humanity and a commitment to international public service;
- Fluent in English, proficiency in other languages i.e. French or Arabic is a plus;
- Firm commitment to a long-term full-time internship.
- The aim of the internship is to provide professional experience in an internationalorganization which is related to and supplements studies or interests in the field of medicines;
- The internship provides an opportunity to work in a multi-cultural intergovernmental organization;
- UNHCR will provide a food and transportation allowance around 740 USD per month for interns who do not receive financial support from an outside party.
- The internship program is not connected with the recruitment process; nevertheless, UNHCR is willing to provide reference and a fair performance evaluation of the internship for his/hercontribution to UNHCR’s work.
- Interns are required to complete mandatory UNHCR trainings before commencement of theinternship.
- If you possess the above qualifications and are interested in the internship position, please submityour application with (I) Letter of Motivation, (ii) CV, and (iii) signed Personal History Form(available at <http://www.unhcr.org/hk/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2017/10/UNHCR_Personal_History_Form_October-2017.zip>) byemail to [email protected], and indicate in the subject line “Internship Application – Programme” by17 January 2019.