Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
VII. RESOLUTIONS ADOPTED ON THE REPORTS OF THE THIRD COMMITTEE
639. Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
The General Assembly,
Concerned with the persistence of a serious refugee problem which is the direct responsibility of the United Nations,
1. Notes with appreciation the second annual report1 of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees;
2. Takes note of the fact that contributions thus far received by the High Commissioner for assistance to refugees under the authority given to him by General Assembly resolution 538 B (VI) of 2 February 1952 will not be sufficient to provide in 1953 for emergency aid to the most needy groups of refugees under his mandate in Europe, the Near East and the Far East, particularly in Shanghai;
3. Notes with appreciation the contributions already made by governments, organizations and private individuals to the fund for emergency aid to refugees;
4. Expresses the hope that further contributions will be forthcoming to that fund so as to enable the High Commissioner to carry out his plans of assistance to the most needy groups of refugees;
5. Reiterates its appeal to all governments, specialized agencies and other inter-governmental and non-governmental organizations interested in migration to give to refugees under the mandate of the High Commissioner every possible opportunity in and benefit from projects to promote migration, including such measures as will facilitate the transit, resettlement and employment of refugees in occupations suitable to their training and skills.
408th plenary meeting,
20 December 1952.
1 See Official Records of the General Assembly, Seventh Session, Supplement No. 16.