Within 48 hours after the typhoon made landfall, UNHCR deployed its Emergency Response Team to Caraga Region to provide technical and operation support to the government particularly the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD). The team is spearheaded by the Head of the Field Office together with two technical staff on protection and information management. Coordination meetings were immediately conducted with the DSWD Caraga Regional Director, Assistant Regional Director for Operations, and the Office of the Civil Defense in the Emergency Operation Center in Butuan City to gather the latest data and protection situation of the displaced population.
PROVISION OF CORE RELIEF ITEMS
Upon receipt of official request from the government, UNHCR with the help of donors and partners augmented support through the provision of core relief items. Shelter-grade tarpaulins and plastic sheeting, solar lamps, hygiene kits, and mosquito nets have been distributed, helping improve the living conditions of approximately more than 7,800 individuals (1,577 families). These items are intended to serve the severely affected islands in Siargao and Dinagat as well as the coastal municipalities in the mainland of Surigao del Norte province. Coordination with the Philippine Port Authority was conducted to assess transportation modality.
On June 23, 2022, UNHCR transported additional core relief items (CRIs) such as plastic tarps, hygiene kits and mosquito nets in Surigao Del Norte. These will be distributed by ACCORD Inc. to the identified families who are needing CRIs in the island barangays of Surigao and Siargao Island particularly in General Luna Municipality.
As a co-lead of the Protection Cluster, UNHCR is providing technical support to DSWD on protection coordination and information management. It continues to promote the centrality of protection in the overall humanitarian response.
Emergency Situation Reports:
- Emergency Situation Report Issue No. 1, 19 December 2021
- Emergency Situation Report Issue No. 2, 24 December 2021
- Emergency Situation Report Issue No. 3, 1 January 2022
- Emergency Situation Report Issue No. 4, 9 January 2022
- Emergency Situation Report Issue No. 5, 22 January 2022
- Emergency Situation Report Issue No. 6, 8 February 2022
- Emergency Situation Report Issue No. 7, 28 February 2022
- Emergency Situation Report Issue No. 8, 31 March 2022
- Emergency Situation Report Issue No. 9, 30 April 2022