Asylum-Seekers and Refugees
Together with the authorities and civil society, UNHCR works predominantly to improve the BiH asylum system in the following areas:
- Ensuring adequate and early identification and referral of asylum-seekers, respecting procedural safeguards, aligning the use of detention with international standards and considering the use of alternatives instead;
- Providing adequate reception conditions to vulnerable categories of asylum-seekers, including children;
- Improving refugee status determination procedures and judicial reviews of asylum cases;
- Realising the rights of asylum-seekers and refugees regarding healthcare;
- Strengthening local integration for those granted international protection, including naturalization of refugees.
People Lacking Proof of Nationality and at Risk of Statelessness
The identification, prevention, and reduction of statelessness in BiH primarily require the following:
- Reinforcing the capacity of lower-level authorities to identify people at risk of statelessness and refer them to appropriate services, including free legal aid and civil registration;
- Strengthening free legal aid system to ensure services are provided to people at risk of statelessness;
- Training administrative officials involved in birth and citizenship registration procedures;
- Improving legislation with regards to registration of residence;
- Improving remaining weaknesses in birth registration legislation in Federation of BiH;
- Ensuring that all children are registered immediately at birth.