National Activity Plan 2005: Kenya
20 June 2005
- 14-28 June: A cartoon exhibition in partnership with the Association of East African Cartoonists (KATUNI) at the Go Down Art Centre in Nairobi. After Nairobi, the exhibition will tour the two refugee camps and other towns in Kenya. The theme for the exhibition is taken from a Swahili saying that regards a long-term visitor as a member of the community who is expected to contribute positively to society.
- 10-11 and 16 May, Kakuma and Dadaab refugee camps: In preparation for the exhibition, five top Kenyan cartoonists visited the camps and held a workshop with refugee artists to guide them in the production of their work.
- 17 May: Cartoonists participated in a two-hour radio programme discussing their experience at refugee camps and promoting World Refugee Day activities.
- 14 June: Launch of cartoon exhibition, Go Down Art Centre. Programme includes a debate on the theme, "Refugees: Ordinary people who have found themselves in extraordinary circumstances". Competition to be held for the three best caricatures of prominent people who were once refugees. Catalogues with the best cartoons will be distributed.
- Broadcast of WRD spots on national TV and radio stations.
- Interactive debates, discussions and interviews on National Radio and TV stations on this year's theme, "Courage - Honouring and celebrating the resilience of the refugee".
- 18 June, Dadaab camp: Activities include sports and cultural performances. A number of guests including government officials, donor representatives, civil society and the media are invited to attend.
- Other events for WRD to be carried out by organizations including Jesuit Refugee Services, Refugee Consortium of Kenya, Windle Trust and CARE.