National Activity Plan 2006: Malawi
20 June 2006
- To advocate for the rights of urban refugees, World Refugee Day banners will be printed and flown in various locations.
- To enhance the harmonious coexistence between nationals and refugees an essay competition is scheduled. The essays will be written by refugees and nationals and they will be published in the local papers.
- To address the negative attitudes among nationals towards urban refugees, TV programmes, including a play by national comedians, are in preparation. The play will take place on World Refugee Day. To let the general public have wider consultations when making policy papers with regards to refugee laws, informal round table discussions with key officers in major government departments will be held during the month of May.
- To encourage nationals, refugees and asylum seekers to practice their culture, an exhibition of traditional materials and products will be organized.
- Sporting activities (football, netball and basketball) are in preparation on the afternoon of 20 June.