Assistance to refugees in southern Africa
32. RESOLUTIONS ADOPTED ON THE REPORTS OF THE THIRD COMMITTEE
70. Assistance to refugees in southern Africa
The General Assembly,
Noting the information provided by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees on the assistance activities of his Office on behalf of refugees in southern Africa,1
Noting with deep concern the increasing number of refugees from Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe and recognizing the burden thus imposed upon the receiving countries,
Noting the continuing efforts of the High Commissioner to extend adequate assistance to these refugees, particularly in neighbouring African States,
Recognizing the close co-operation existing between the Organization of African Unity and the High Commissioner,
1. Commends the programmes of assistance already being implemented by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and requests him further to strengthen measures for the benefit of refugees in southern Africa;
2. Urges Governments to contribute generously towards the programmes of the High Commissioner and to provide him with the necessary facilities required to assist the refugees in southern Africa, inter alia by providing opportunities for local settlement, education and vocational training;
3. Requests United Nations agencies and programmes, non-governmental organizations and voluntary agencies to extend maximum support to the High Commissioner in his efforts;
4. Requests the High Commissioner to continue his co-operation with the Organization of African Unity and to keep it currently informed of these assistance activities.
98th plenary meeting
8 December 1977
1 See Official Records of the General Assembly, Thirty-second Session, Supplement No. 12 (A/32/12 and Corr.1), chap. III.