World Refugee Day 2018: Join us in Solidarity and Stand #WithRefugees
The UNHCR Office and a number of organisations around Cyprus will be marking this year’s World Refugee Day with a number of dedicated events and activities in Nicosia, Larnaca and Limassol.
Every year on 20 June, World Refugee Day, we are reminded of the need to honour refugee lives and the daily struggles faced by those forced to flee their homes. As wars and civil conflicts multiply, so do the numbers of families who are forced to flee. With more than 65 million displaced people all over the world, half of whom are women and children, the role of communities is more important than ever in supporting refugees, and ensuring their inclusion in the new host societies.
As governments consider a better way to manage refugee crises, the global #WithRefugees Campaign is mobilizing global public action, innovation and solidarity towards refugees. Launched by UNHCR two years ago, the campaign will continue until a global compact on refugees is agreed in 2018. By joining together in global solidarity, we can all make a difference for families forced to flee. Every part of society has a role to play. Each of us can do our part to express solidarity with refugees.
Show your support and stand #WithRefugees by signing the petition and asking decision-makers to ensure that all refugees should have a safe place to live, get an education and be able to work to support their families. Now more than ever, we need to stand #WithRefugees. Please stand with us. Sign the Petition today.
The UNHCR Office and a number of organisations around Cyprus will be marking this year’s World Refugee Day with a number of dedicated events and activities in Nicosia, Larnaca and Limassol starting on Sunday 17 June, and concluding on Saturday 30 June.
Join us in the events and spread the word!
Events around Cyprus on the occasion of World Refugee Day 2018:
Sunday 17 June in Limassol
- Musical Footprints – Intercultural Dialogue Night at Heroes Square, from 18:30, organised by Epilogi Cultural Movement together with the Limassol Municipality, Limassol Intercultural Council and the Municipality of Ayios Athanasios – with support from UNHCR Cyprus. Entrance Free.
Wednesday 20 June, in Nicosia
- Cyprus Symphony Orchestra Refugee Solidarity Concert at 20:30 at Faneromeni Square, Nicosia under the auspices of UNHCR Cyprus. Entrance free.
- On the same day, refugees will participate in events in Agros village and at the Kofinou Reception Centre organised with the support of UNHCR Cyprus. Unaccompanied and separated children have been invited to take part in the PeacePlayers summer sport event in Agros village. Meanwhile at the Reception Centre in Kofinou, families residing there will celebrate with volunteers from OASIS with music, food and activities for all.
Thursday 21 June, in Larnaca
- World Refugee Day Festival at the seafront in Larnaca, with the participation of refugees living in Cyprus. Organised by OASIS together with MiHub and Caritas Larnaca – with support from UNHCR Cyprus
Friday 22 June, in Nicosia
- World Refugee Day Street Festival at Faneromeni Square in Nicosia, 18:00-22:00, with the participation of refugees living in Cyprus. Organised by the Cyprus Refugee Council and Cyprus Aware, with the participation of UNCHR Cyprus
- “Let’s Latin” Philanthropic Music Concert in celebration of World Music Day and World Refugee Day at 20:30 organised at the Bank of Cyprus Cultural Foundation, Nicosia. Tickets €10 / €6 with proceeds going towards music lessons for asylum-seeking children in Cyprus.
Friday 29 June, in Nicosia
- Photography exhibition: Refugee Children in Cyprus Photograph their own Lives. Strovolos Municipality at 19:30. In collaboration with UNHCR Cyprus and with funding from the Cultural Services of the Ministry of Education and Culture, and the support of the Strovolos Municipality.
Saturday 30 June, in Larnaca
- A Family Fun Day at Ayioi Anargyroi Primary School in Larnaca, 10:00 – 14:00, with the participation of refugee children and their families together with pupils from the school and their families, teachers and volunteers. There will be theatre workshops and games, art activities, dance workshops and sports activities for all ages. Organised by OASIS in collaboration with the Michalis Kakoyiannis Ayioi Anargyroi Primary School – with support from UNHCR Cyprus.