JOB OPENING: Post No: 10030717 – Driver (GL2), UNHCR Cyprus, Nicosia
Internal/External Vacancy Notice
Part 1 – Identification of Post
Vacancy Ref: Post No: 10030717 – Driver (GL2), UNHCR Cyprus, Nicosia
Duration of contract: 1 April 2019 to 31 December 2019, with a possibility of further extension
Contact Person: Maria Kyriacou – Admin/Finance Associate ([email protected])
Closing Date: 18 February 2019
Part 2 Position Requirements
2.1 Organizational Context
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a humanitarian and non-political organization mandated by the United Nations to protect refugees and stateless persons and help them find lasting solutions to their problems. UNHCR’s activities are based on a framework of international refugee law and standards that includes the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol, as well as an array of international and regional treaties on human rights and humanitarian law. UNHCR works with States, civil society organizations, the legal community, the media and other actors to ensure effective protection and promote durable solutions through a mix of capacity-building, refugee law promotion, advocacy and public awareness activities.
UNHCR is looking to hire a highly motivated individual to assist its country office in Cyprus in carrying out driving tasks and is inviting qualifying candidates to apply.
2.2 Functional Statement
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
– Assigned UNHCR vehicles are properly maintained and equipped as per technical guidance and specifications established by the Organisation.
– Local traffic rules and regulations are strictly observed.
– Instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor and security focal point are strictly followed by the Driver and the passengers during the journey.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
– Drive UNHCR vehicles for the transport of authorized passengers and delivery and collection of mail, documents, UNHCR pouch and other items.
– Meet official personnel at the airport and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required.
– Perform day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles; check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc. and ensure that the assigned UNHCR vehicles are road worthy and maintained up to the established security standards.
– Perform minor repairs and arrange for other repairs and ensure that the vehicle is kept clean.
– Ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accident.
– Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
– Drive the vehicle only when his/her safety or security is not at risk.
– Ask the passenger about the destination of the journey and route.
– Decline to drive passengers not authorized to be in a UNHCR vehicle.
2.3 Essential Minimum Qualifications and Professional Experience Required
– Completion of Primary Education or equivalent technical or commercial school.
– Minimum 2 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
– Driving licence, knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
– Fluency in English and Greek essential.
2.4 Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
– Mechanical skills.
– Applications must be in English and addressed by email to the above-mentioned contact person.
– The UN Personal History Form (P-11) https://www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc must be filled out and submitted along with a motivation letter.
– Acknowledgements shall only be sent to short-listed candidates under consideration.
– Incomplete or late applications will not be taken into account.