Stay up to date on our latest news and stories
- Follow us locally on Twitter @UNHCRCyprus
- Follow UNHCR Cyprus on Facebook @UNHCRCyprus and share with your friends
- Subscribe to our Youtube channel: UNHCR Cyprus
- See our photos from the field on UNHCR’s global Instagram pages @unrefugees
- Sign up to UNHCR’s weekly global newsletter
- Stay on top of displacement news around the world with The Refugee Brief
Donating to UNHCR is an easy process. You can give any amount and all of it will go straight to helping our field operations around the world. Make a donation online, or find more ways in which private sector support can be offered to UNHCR. For material assistance to refugees locally in Cyprus, there are a number of non-governmental organisations you can contact around Cyprus. If you have specific enquiries, please address an email to us at [email protected].
Work with us
We work around the world. Search our current vacancies. When there are job openings in Cyprus at our Nicosia office, they are advertised on our website and social media pages.
Learn what it takes to become a volunteer on the ground and learn more about the process by visiting UN Volunteers. There are also opportunities for online volunteers with the Online Volunteer Service. To volunteer your time locally with refugees and asylum-seekers in Cyprus, there are a number of non-governmental organisations you can contact. This may include helping schoolchildren with their homework, teaching adults computer skills or languages, or organising and collecting useful donations. For more ideas see 8 Practical Ways to Help Refugees. For specific enquiries and ways you can volunteer in Cyprus, please address an email to us at [email protected].
We welcome applications for internships at any time, and take a select number of interns throughout the year. Find out more. If you are interested in pursuing an internship with us in Cyprus, please see our current Terms of Reference for a position with the Legal / Protection Team. Should this opportunity meet your areas of interest and expertise, please address an email to us at [email protected] with your details, a cover letter with your reasons for wishing to intern with UNHCR Cyprus, and your CV.
To help children of all ages learn about refugee issues, we have produced a range of teaching materials and set up an online group for teachers to swap ideas and discuss lesson plans. To find out more and to sign up, visit Exchange. In Cyprus we have developed a host of educational materials and work with schools across the island. Visit our education pages for more information about current and past actions and to download relevant reports, watch videos and access materials produced for use in the classroom.
Help rebuild lives
There are many practical ways businesses can help, ranging from helping refugees create cooperatives and strengthen business skills, to employing skilled and trained people. Your organization may offer a scholarship to a young refugee to access a university education or hire a refugee to join your team. To find out if your company or organisation could help, please visit our Livelihoods section. For local actions in Cyprus, please address an email to us at [email protected] with your details and ideas and we will be glad to discuss them with you.
Organise an event
Would you like to support UNHCR’s special events or help spread the word about people who have been forced to flee? There are many ways that you can contribute and participate. Here are some ideas:
- Host a World Refugee Day event. This could mean screening a topical film about the forcibly displaced or a celebration of resilience and multiculturalism.
- Organise an event at your home, place of worship, community centre or municipality to raise awareness on refugee issues. Contact UNHCR Cyprus and ask for ideas.
- Hold a debate on a topic important to you – for example, who is a refugee? What rights do refugees have? What is shelter? What can individuals and communities do to help? Contact UNHCR Cyprus to ask for ideas and maybe even invite a speaker.
- Organise a project with school children and their families to enhance messages of tolerance, acceptance and multiculturalism. Contact UNHCR Cyprus for ideas and guidance.