Unit plan for ages 15-18 in Geography: Internally Displaced People
- To understand clearly the legal difference between a refugee and an internally displaced person
- To understand that not all people who flee violent conflict are able to cross international borders and claim international protection as refugees
- To understand that individual governments and the international community must ensure that internally displaced people are protected and their human rights respected
- To encourage in the students empathy for internally displaced people who have lost their homes and belongings and whose government will not or cannot provide them protection from conflict
- To articulate the rights of internally displaced people and the corresponding responsibilities of governments and the international community to support those rights
- To be able to identify the similarities and differences between refugees and internally displaced people
- To practise sensitive enquiry and reasoning skills.
- To think critically.