Careers at UNHCR
Careers at UNHCR
We are looking for talented, motivated and passionate individuals to join our team.
UNHCR employs 18,879 people in 137 countries.
Our dedicated and passionate team work around the clock in a variety of roles including legal protection, community services, public affairs, health and more.
They lead international action to protect displaced people, deliver life-saving assistance, safeguard fundamental human rights, and develop solutions that ensure people have a safe place called home where they can build a better future.
We are always on the lookout for talented, motivated and passionate staff to join our team.
How to find roles and apply
Almost all vacancies are advertised on the UNHCR online recruitment platform, and new opportunities are regularly added.
See our Application and selection page to learn more about how to apply, the recruitment process and tips from our HR team on your application.
Junior Professional Officer and United Nations Volunteers roles are advertised outside of this system. See the relevant page for more information on these positions.
Who we are looking for
We operate in challenging, volatile and even dangerous contexts, assisting and protecting people making extraordinary efforts to survive. As a front-line organization at the ready in emergencies, we need colleagues who:
- Are passionate about our mission and inspire others with their dedication and work ethic
- Are willing to serve in hardship locations and emergency operations
- Are professionals with high integrity who can respond to the needs of people forced to flee across the globe in a responsible and reliable manner
- Thrive in a diverse and multicultural work environment
- Bring innovative ideas, skills and solutions to help save lives and build a better future for people forced to flee
- Are results-oriented, flexible and determined to make a difference
- Have at least an undergraduate degree from a UNESCO accredited institution (international staff)
- Have successfully completed their secondary education (general/field service)
- Bring relevant work experience and skills
- Are proficient in English (working knowledge of another UN language may be required).
Commitment to diversity and inclusion
UNHCR’s workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. We seek to sustain and strengthen this diversity and to ensure equal opportunities, as well as an inclusive working environment, for our entire workforce. Joining us means living, sharing and promoting these core values of inclusion, diversity and gender equality.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
If you are a person with a disability and you expect you may face challenges during the recruitment process, you can indicate it in your application form in our recruitment platform.
There are options to select any health conditions you may have and outline any necessary adjustments related to disabilities during the recruitment phases. Providing this information is optional. It will be treated as strictly confidential and used only for the purpose of finding out how to better assist you during the recruitment process.
If you missed adding it to your application or need further assistance please let us know via email: [email protected].
Adjustments for candidates with disabilities will be provided as best as possible and as needed upon request.
All candidates will be assessed based on meeting the requirements for each vacancy in relation to experience, skills, and education.
Sign up for updates
Subscribe to the UNHCR e-newsletter to stay up to date with our work and read front-line stories from current staff and the people we help protect.