Of the 19.9 million refugees under our care, 7.4 million are of school age. Their access to education is limited, with 4 million unable to attend school.
The New York Declaration for Refugees and Migrants pinpoints education as a critical element of the international refugee response. Furthermore, Sustainable Development Goal 4 aims to deliver “inclusive and quality education for all and to promote lifelong learning”.
UNHCR partners with governments and international organisations to ensure quality protective education for refugee children and young people everywhere. Together with your help, they can learn how to rebuild their lives.
Education is a basic human right, enshrined in the 1989 Convention on the Rights of the Child and the 1951 Refugee Convention.
Education protects refugee children and youth from forced recruitment into armed groups, child labour, sexual exploitation and child marriage. Education also strengthens community resilience.
Education empowers by giving refugees the knowledge and skills to live productive, fulfilling and independent lives.
Education enlightens refugees, enabling them to learn about themselves and the world around them, while striving to rebuild their lives and communities.
Coronavirus a dire threat to refugee education – half of the world's refugee children out of school
UNHCR report reveals that more than half of the world's school-age refugee children do not get an education.
Documents and external links
- Supporting Continued Access to Education During COVID-19. Emerging Promising Practices. (Issue 2)
- Supporting Continued Access to Education During COVID-19
- Emerging lessons from country experiences of reopening schools
- How to ensure everyone can continue learning amid the coronavirus situation. Connected education: resources, considerations & guidance
- UNHCR-UNESCO-EAA Policy Paper - What a waste: Ensure that migrants and refugees' qualifications and prior learning are recognized
- Stepping up: Refugee Education in Crisis
- Her Turn: It's time to make refugee girls' education a priority
- Refugee Education 2030: A Strategy for Refugee Inclusion
- Education 2030: A Strategy for Refugee Education (French Version)
- Sustainable Development Goals - Inclusive and Quality Education for All
- Update on Education to the Standing Committee
- UNHCR-UNESCO Policy Paper: No More Excuses