High Commissioner's Dialogue on Protection Challenges: Development Cooperation
The Dialogue focused on development cooperation across the cycle of displacement with protection as a central and cross-cutting theme. The sessions were structured around the following:
- Early action: Enhancing development cooperation to anticipate, respond to, and foster longer-term approaches to emergencies
- Inclusion: The role of development cooperation in facilitating inclusion in national systems
- Solutions: Unlocking solutions through enhanced development cooperation
Watch the High Commissioner's Dialogue plenary sessions
Opening plenary session statements
- MIRPS Support Platform and the Honduras National Coordination Roundtable 19 Dec 2022
- High-Level Roundtable on Return and Reintegration of Burundi Refugees 8 Dec 2022
- Regional Roundtable on Protection Challenges - West and Central Africa 8 Dec 2022
Closing plenary session statements
- Joint Statement by 2023 Global Refugee Forum Co-Hosts and Co-Convenors 9 Dec 2022
- Development Cooperation Initiative, Localization and Development - Effective Approaches to Promote Evidence-Based Policies and Refugee Inclusion 8 Dec 2022
- Development Cooperation Initiative, Making Forcibly Displaced and Stateless Persons Visible in National Statistics 8 Dec 2022
Speaker’s Corner is an opportunity for presenters to discuss new research and initiatives related to development cooperation in forced displacement and statelessness contexts.
Preparatory regional roundtables
To help ensure that the Dialogue benefits from regional good practices in relation to development cooperation, UNHCR convened a series of roundtables in October and November 2022, exploring the themes for this year’s event in the context of the unique displacement and stateless situations in each region. These roundtables stimulated reflection on learnings, challenges, and opportunities which served as a foundation for the discussion and envisaged takeaways at the Dialogue itself in December.
Building on the outcomes of the situational roundtables, the Dialogue pursued the discussions at the global level in December and helped inform pledge cultivation and mobilization related to development cooperation for the next Global Refugee Forum in 2023.