Persons with Disabilities
The World Health Organization estimates that around 15 per cent of the world’s population has a disability. Several million are thought to be displaced but often remain invisible within uprooted communities.
Persons with disabilities are not a homogenous group – they have different capacities and needs, and contribute in different ways to their communities. In times of crisis, they may be at heightened risk of discrimination, exploitation and violence, and face numerous barriers to accessing humanitarian assistance.
At UNHCR, we work to ensure women, girls, men and boys with disabilities have access to vital services and have the opportunity to apply their skills and capacities to benefit themselves, their families and communities.
We work around the clock to identify the issues they face and develop long-term solutions.
UNHCR Policy and Guidance
- Policy on Age, Gender and Diversity 2018
- Conclusion on refugees with disabilities and other persons with disabilities protected by the UNHCR
- Working with Persons with Disabilities in Forced Displacement (2019)
- UNHCR Emergency Handbook - Persons with Disabilities
- Working with Persons with Disabilities in Forced Displacement Facilitator's Guide
People with Disabilities - Reports and Documents
- Working with Persons with Disabilities in Forced Displacement 2019
- International Disability Alliance: Recommendation to Include a Stand-Alone Paragraph on Refugees with Disabilities in the Global Compact on Refugees 4 May 2018
- Forced displacement and the use of explosive weapons in populated areas: perspectives of Syrian women refugees in Lebanon 27 Jan 2018
Reports and Resources
- Tip sheet on applying the UNHCR age, gender and diversity policy to persons with disabilities
- UN Disability Inclusion Strategy
- IASC Guidelines on inclusion of persons with disabilities in humanitarian action
- Guidance on strengthening disability inclusion in Humanitarian Response Plans.
- Humanitarian Inclusion Standards for older people and people with disabilities
- Policy Brief: A Disability-Inclusive Response to COVID-19
- Global Refugee Forum Pledging Guidance: Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities
- Syrian Arab Republic. Disability Prevalence and Impact. A Nationwide Household Survey Using Washington Group Methodology
- Vulnerability Assessment Framework - Population Study 2019 - Jordan.
- Bridging the mobile disability gap in refugee settings.
- Advocating for the needs of persons with disabilities – World Refugee Day 2020.