International Conference Access to Justice by Refugees – Specifications and Capacities
7-8 December 2017
UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and Turkish Justice Academy will host an international conference entitled Access to Justice by Refugees – Specifications and Capacities on 7-8 December 2017.
The Conference seeks to focus on the subject of access to justice by refugees and asylum-seekers by providing a platform to explore various related topics and normative questions in Turkey, the largest host country of refugees worldwide for the third consecutive year.
By bringing together judges, prosecutors, academics, practitioners, policy and lawmakers, public institutions, non-governmental organizations and lawyers from Turkey and other countries, the aim is to benefit from different perspectives and experiences gained in the refugee situations.
Prospective attendees include experts and professionals from the Turkish Constitutional Court, Council of State, Supreme Court, Ministries, Union of Turkish Bar Associations, Ombudsman Institution, Human Rights and Equality Institution of Turkey, International Association of Refugee Law Judges, and UNHCR, academics and representatives from other countries.
- Broadly, the panels of the conference will seek to address the following issues:
- Access to Justice and Legal Aid for Refugees and Asylum Seekers – What can we do?
- Role of the Constitutional Courts for the Protection of Refugees and Asylum Seekers
- Due Process Guarantees for Persons under Administrative Detention
- Responsibilities in the Context of Criminal Law
- Access to Justice As a Factor of Social Cohesion
- Access to Justice by Children and Women
- Jurisprudence on Asylum Matters
- Various Models of Asylum Courts
- Readmission Agreements – Legal Basis and Implementation
Those who are interested in attending the conference may submit their names and contact details via e-mail with “International Conference Participation” in the subject line to: [email protected] by 30 November 2017.