Unit plan for ages 9-11 in Geography: Refugees - Who, Where and Why?
- To gain a general understanding of refugee issues
- To understand clearly;
- a) the concepts of migration, emigration, immigration
- b) the definition of a refugee
- c) the concept of asylum
- To see that the refugee crisis is a world wide one
- To become more familiar with the regions which are often in the news, areas which generate refugees and which give asylum
- To encourage in the students empathy for children similar to themselves, who have lost their homes and homelands
- To foster open-mindedness and respect for others
- To increase global awareness in the students, expanding the boundaries of their experience
- To strengthen discussion and written expression skills
- To improve and strengthen map reading skills
- To have some fun!