Information Note on Income and Expenditure for the Year 1994
1. The annual accounts for Voluntary Funds administered by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees for the year 1994 will be issued formally after completion of the audit and as part of the documentation for the forty-sixth session of the Executive Committee of the High Commissioner's Programme.
2. Nonetheless, for the purposes of informing members of the Sub-Committee on Administrative and Financial Matters in a timely fashion of the final, unaudited results of the 1994 financial exercise, attached is a consolidated Income and Expenditure Statement for 1994 for General and Special Programmes, covering all sources of funds (Annex I, which is Statement 2 of the Annual Accounts).
3. As shown in Annex I, total funds available in 1994 under all sources of funds, including funds brought forward from 1993, came to $ 1,530,634,000. Obligations entered into totalled $ 1,166,762,000 ($ 390,697,000 for General Programmes, $ 776,065,000 for Special Programmes), leaving a total carry-over of $ 313,872,000 at year-end (not including the Working Capital and Guarantee Fund) to meet programme expenditure in 1995. The carry-over is composed of $ 56,233,000 for General Programmes and $ 257,639,000 for ongoing Special Programmes. The carry-over from 1994 to 1995 is roughly comparable to that of 1993 to 1994. At that time $ 55,360,000 was carried over for General Programmes and $ 233,449,000 for ongoing Special Programmes.
4. Attached as Annex II is an advance copy of Schedule 3 (page 46) of the Annual Accounts for 1994, which provides details of expenditure under the Emergency Fund. Annex III lists allocations made from the 1994 Programme Reserve during the period 1 January 1994 through 31 December 1994. The use of the General Allocation for Voluntary Repatriation is set out in detail in Annex IV.
5. During 1994, the Working Capital and Guarantee Fund continued to serve its "guarantee" role; the High Commissioner did not need to have recourse to it to meet any cash-flow problems.
Annexes are not included. Please contact CDR should you need to consult them.