UNHCR’s greatest asset is our workforce. We work with passionate, talented and creative individuals who want to use their skills for good. Thanks to people like you, we can develop solutions that enable people who have been forced to flee to restart their lives and build better futures.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Vacancies in the Region
External Vacancy Notice BH/SAR/22/CONTR/01 (Re-advertising) National Individual Contractor: Senior Information Management Assistant
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Representation in Bosnia and Herzegovina invites qualified and interested candidates to apply for the national Individual Contractor position in UNHCR Country Office Sarajevo, as follows:
Position Title: Senior Information Management Assistant
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Project Name: Improving data collection methods and identification of sources in two implementing partners and align them to UNHCR’s requirements
Type of Contract: National Individual Contractor (equivalent to GS5 level)
Start Date: 01 August 2022
Duration of Contract: 4(four) months
Application Deadline: 26 June 2022, 23:59 (CET)
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. The office of the UNHCR Representation in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) is located in Sarajevo.
UNHCR BiH’s objective through this vacancy is to improve data collection methods and identification of sources in two implementing partners and align them to UNHCR’s requirements. The clarity in the measurement of indicators and sources used to collect the data is required. Therefore, UNHCR is seeking to hire an individual contractor to support its implementing partners with data management, setting up and maintaining databases, improving data collection methods, and building capacities to maintain, extract and analyze data.
- Overall Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Information Management Associate, the individual contractor will work in the UNHCR Country Office Sarajevo and at the premises of UNHCR partners in Sarajevo. In particular, s/he will contribute to the following tasks:
- Assess the current state of the database and data collection methods used in the field and report on the gaps and challenges;
- Design a plan to address identified gaps related to data collection, processing, storage, and analysis of processed data and information;
- Adapt existing databases of the two implementing partners to ensure they are coordinated, efficient, simple, clear and aligned to UNHCR standards and requirements;
- Provide capacity-building training on data collection to all staff in the field who are involved in data collection;
- Provide targeted capacity-building training to a limited number of staff who will be responsible (focal points) for data management on how to maintain databases, store data, extract data, etc;
- Any other responsibilities/functions deemed necessary.
In line with the scope of work described above, the individual contractor will be expected to perform the following activities and deliverables. A work plan and schedule adapted to the duration of the contract will be agreed upon at the onset of the assignment as well as on a monthly basis:
- Assessment report on key gaps and challenges related to data collection methods, data processing and storage, including recommendations and a work plan to address these gaps in coordination with UNHCR and the two partner agencies;
- Report on the assessment of current databases of both implementing partners and support them with adapting those databases to be in line with UNHCR standards;
- Organize and conduct two capacity-building trainings: one data collection training on how to gather and insert data in the database to be provided to all field staff of implementing partners and one to IM focal points about overall data management and follow-up.
- Essential Minimum Qualifications and Professional Experience Required
Level of responsibilities required (mark as appropriate) for individual contractors and fellows:
Entry Level Support Mid-Level Support Senior Level Support Local Professional Level Junior Level Professional Senior Level Professional
Essential Minimum Qualifications Required
- Education: BA Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field;
- Job experience: Minimum 5 years of relevant job experience in data management, statistics, data analysis, information technology, administration or a related field;
- Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and Standard Operating Procedures;
- Ability to Identify and obtain the needed data and information elements required to produce standardized information products and design and manage respective data/information collection plans for baseline and context-specific data;
- Experience in providing capacity-building trainings regarding data and database management;
- Languages: Proficiency in English and the local language(s) of BiH is required.
- Computer skills (MS office, work in data bases, statistics analysis);
- Knowledge of data collection methodologies;
- Ability to produce high quality output with desirable results;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to relate well with a multiplicity of stakeholders;
- Good drafting skills in order to able to deliver reports and various documents;
- Ability to organize and conduct trainings;
- Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and Operating Procedures;
- Knowledge of SQL will be an asset.
Fluent in English and local languages in BiH (both oral and written).
- Monitoring and Progress Controls (report requirements, periodicity, format, deadlines):
The final product (e.g. survey completed, data collected, workshop conducted, research
documents produced specify):
- Assessment report on key gaps and challenges related to data collection methods, data processing and storage;
- Assessment report of current databases;
- Activity report of capacity building trainings.
- Occupational Safety and Health Consideration
To view occupational safety and health considerations for specific duty stations, please visit this link: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel
Specific Occupational Safety and Health Considerations to this assignment:
No specific OSH considerations for this assignment
- Contractual Arrangement and Remuneration
The incumbent of this position will be engaged on an Individual Contractor contract, on a full-time work (workweek of 40 hrs), with the total duration of the contract for 4 (four months).
UNHCR will prepare the contract with the standard terms and conditions (see enclosed UNHCR General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Individual Contractors), which will form an integral part of the contract and which will need to be accepted in writing by the applicant selected for this position;
Remuneration (Salary) will be paid on a regular monthly basis at the rate established by UNHCR in accordance with UNHCR rules governing the rates payable for such services. The fee will be paid upon completion of assigned tasks and acceptance of deliverables. In addition to the payment of the monthly salary, a Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) might be payable for official missions undertaken based on prior request and approval by UNHCR.
Payment of remuneration allowances shall be made to the contractor by bank transfer, after submission of the corresponding activity log sheet/travel authorisation. Payment shall be effected on a monthly basis upon receipt of a request for payment and upon certification by UNHCR that services have been satisfactorily performed. Other details of terms and conditions for payment shall be stipulated in the service contract.
- Submission of Applications
All interested candidates must submit their CV, motivation letter and duly completed and signed UNHCR’s Personal History Form by e-mail to [email protected], with enclosed copies of relevant diplomas/certificates. Please indicate in the subject line: UNHCR External VN BH/SAR/22/CONTR/01_Senior Information Management Assistant.
Deadline for submission of the applications is 26 June 2022, 23:59 (CET).
Applications are to be submitted in English. Documents submitted in other languages will not be considered.
Any submitted incomplete or late application will be rejected. Please make sure that you have provided all requested documents specified above.
- Please make sure that you have provided all requested documents mentioned above. Late or incomplete applications received without any of the above-specified documents will not be considered;
- All candidates are required to submit a scanned copy of the signed UNHCR’s Personal History Form;
- Consideration and Selection process
- The selection process consists of conducting the panel interview with short-listed candidates only;
- Due to a large number of potential applicants, applications will not be acknowledged. Only successful shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited for the interview;
- Applicants who are not nationals of Bosnia and Herzegovina must have a valid residence and work permit in Bosnia and Herzegovina at the time of application.
The decision of UNHCR to select a successful applicant is final and absolute. UNHCR is not obliged to inform applicants of any details and the outcome of the selection process.
Any questions regarding this vacancy and the required consultancy services must be submitted in writing to UNHCR BiH general e-mail address [email protected].
IMPORTANT: Engagement of Individual Contractors under a UNHCR affiliate scheme is subject to proof of full vaccination against Covid-19.
UNHCR Bosnia and Herzegovina: Call for applications for General Service positions – Group 2 candidates
This is an open call for applications for UNHCR Group 2 candidates for General Service positions. Successfully screened candidates will be given access to apply to internally advertised GS positions with UNHCR Bosnia and Herzegovina.
What is Group 2?
UNHCR uses candidate groups in the recruitment for General Service positions. Group 2 is a candidate pool consisting of people who fall under the categories below, with one year of continuous or cumulative service in UNHCR/UN1 in the country of the vacancy.
- • Current2 locally recruited UNHCR staff members holding a Temporary Appointment
• Former locally recruited UNHCR staff members who held an indefinite or fixed-term appointment (within 2 years of separation for males and 5 years for females).
• National United Nations Volunteers currently working for UNHCR.
• National UNOPS and Individual Contractors currently working for UNHCR.
• Current UNHCR General Service staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment applying to a position two grades above the staff member’s personal grade.
• Current UNHCR staff members in the International Professional category holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment.
• Current UNHCR National Professional Officers holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment.
• Current locally recruited female staff members from other UN system organizations holding the equivalent of an indefinite or fixed-term appointment.
Group 2 status is valid for three years, during which candidates will be given access to apply for internal UNHCR Bosnia and Herzegovina GS vacancies.
How to get into Group 2:
Interested candidates should submit their general application to this call for applications by e-mail to [email protected] Candidates who do not currently hold indefinite, fixed-term or temporary appointment with UNHCR are required to fill out and submit the Personal History Form while current UNHCR staff members are required to submit their UNHCR Fact Sheets only.
Please include “Application for Group 2 status – UNHCR Bosnia and Herzegovina” in the subject of your email.
- Cumulative experience can also be a combination of categories. Breaks in service of three months or less do not impact
the qualifying period.
- Current means at the time of application for the open call.
Following review of your application, you will be notified by email once your Group 2 status is confirmed.
What are the other Groups?
Candidates for vacancy announcements in the GS category are divided in Group 1, Group 2 and external candidates. Group 1 consists of current GS staff members in UNHCR who hold an indefinite or fixed-term appointment, and are granted priority consideration in the recruitment/assignment process. Group 2 are candidates mentioned above. External candidates are all other candidates who do not fall under Group 1 and Group 2.
For any additional clarification or questions you may have, please send an e-mail to the Group 2 functional e-mail box (e-mail address same as above).
We look forward to receiving your candidature.