High Commissioner's Dialogue on Protection Challenges, 2015
The eighth annual High Commissioner’s Dialogue on Protection Challenges took place on 16 and 17 December 2015, at the Palais des Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, on the theme: Understanding and addressing root causes of displacement.
In a mix of plenary sessions, debate, thematic discussions and side events, the Dialogue fostered an exchange of views on the understanding of causes of conflict-related displacement, the potential of humanitarian action, the drivers of onward movements, newly developing root causes of displacement and actions to prevent, address and resolve them.
A debate discussed the strong interlinkage of prevention and protection. Two side events took place, one on the importance of oral histories and gathering refugees’ narratives, the other on the impact of criminal violence on displacement in Central America.
The Dialogue brought together delegations from 90 countries, 68 NGOs, and 28 IGOs as well as academics and experts. In total, some 570 people participated, making it the largest Dialogue to date.
The outcomes of the Dialogue are summarized in High Commissioner Refugees António Guterres’ closing remarks as well as the reports of the thematic sessions, delivered in the final plenary session. The outcomes will be accessible on this page.
- Background Paper
- Flyer: Side event on "Oral histories: first-hand insights"
- Flyer: Side event on "As deadly as conflict: criminal violence and its impact on displacement in Central America"
- Concept Paper
- Side event 1: Understanding the causes of conflict-related displacement, the potential of humanitarian action and the drivers of onward movement
- Side event 2: Addressing 'new' root causes: urbanization, food insecurity, water scarcity, natural hazards and climate change
- Side event 3: Unlocking protracted situations and finding solutions
- Opening statement by Professor Arjun Appadurai, Paulette Goddard Professor in Media Culture and Communication at New York University
- Briefing paper: Understanding the root causes of displacement, IDMC 2015
- NGO Key Messages on Root Causes of Displacement
- Addis Ababa Commitment towards Somali Refugees
- UN Security Council Resolution 2250 (2015) on Youth, Peace and Security
- Nansen Initiative: Agenda for the Protection of Cross-Border Displaced Persons in the Context of Disasters and Climate Change
- Guidance on Protecting People from Disasters and Environmental Change through Planned Relocation, October 2015
- UNHCR, the Environment and Climate Change, October 2015
- The Challenge of Sustainable Peace - Report of the Advisory Group of Experts for the 2015 Review of the United Nations Peacebuilding Architecture
- Report of the High-level Independent Panel on Peace Operations on uniting our strengths for peace: politics, partnership and people
- UNHCR Global Trends - Forced Displacement in 2014
- IDMC Global Overview 2015 – People internally displaced by conflict and violence
- Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, A/70/L.1
- Restoring Humanity, Global Voices Calling for Action - Synthesis of the Consultation Process for the World Humanitarian Summit, Executive Summary