At UNHCR we work with data and statistics, which are helping us to understand important information to save, protect and improve the lives of refugees, other forcibly displaced and stateless people. Based on good data, we can make informed decisions around our work and better plan for future operations. Data also allows us to demonstrate accountability to beneficiaries, governments, partners and donors in a tangible and comparable way.
Our vision, strategic priorities and key actions are outlined in our Data Transformation Strategy.
The collection and use of refugee data are mandated by the 1951 Refugee Convention and by the Statute of the Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees. The confidentiality of refugee data and related information is highly respected by UNHCR and our partners and the processing and protection of personal data are anchored in UNHCR’s Data Protection Policy. To learn more about the collection of refugee data read the Registration and Identity Management Guidelines.
UNHCR main data publications
- Key trends and latest numbers of refugees, asylum-seekers, internally displaced and stateless people worldwide
- Latest numbers of people who have returned to their countries or areas of origin
- Latest key results and achievements of UNHCR's work, including details about major refugee operations worldwide
- Contributions from top donors and funding figures for programmes
- Budget and expenditures
- Sustained progress across the four GCR objectives, such as assisting refugee-hosting countries with lower incomes and increasing refugees’ access to education, economic inclusion, resettlement, and complementary pathways.
Platforms and tools
Data management systems and statistical databases help us and our partners to improve our work, optimize our resources and make informed evidence-based decisions. Find a selection of platforms and tools below:
The database provides statistics on global forced displacement, including about UNHCR's populations of concern from 1951 until today.
Inter-agency coordination portal showing operational information about selected current emergencies.