The Bureau for Aliens and Foreign Immigrants’ Affairs (BAFIA) is UNHCR Iran’s main operational government counterpart. Additionally, tripartite Project Partnership Agreements exist with other partners. The Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran, UNHCR and its national and international partners firmly root their assistance to Afghan refugees in the regional multi-year framework known as the Solutions Strategy for Afghan Refugees (SSAR). UNHCR and BAFIA hold joint coordination meetings every year to discuss and review implementation and progress towards the strategy’s objectives and to share updates on priorities.
Partnership with Government
- Ministry of Education (MoE)
- Literacy Movement Organization (LMO)
- Ministry of Health (MoH)
- State Welfare Organization (SWO)
- Technical and Vocational Training Organization (TVTO)
- Iran Health Insurance Organization (IHIO)
- National NGOs: Association for Protection of Refugee Women and Children (HAMI), Society to Protect Children Suffering from Cancer (MAHAK), Society for Recovery Support (SRS), Rebirth Charity Organization (Rebirth), World Relief Foundation (WRF), Chain of Hope (COH); Pars Development Activists Institute (PDA), Iranian Life Quality Improvement Association (ILIA), Kiyana Cultural and Social Group (KIYANA), and Kowsar scientific and cultural institute
- UN Agencies and International Organizations: UNHCR coordinates with UN partner agencies, as well as NGOs and international organizations, under the umbrella of the Solution Strategy for Afghan Refugees (SSAR). UNHCR continues to collaborate with its network of partners and to implement joint activities.
UNHCR is grateful for the critical support provided by donors who contributed to the operation in Iran, as well as those who have contributed to UNHCR programmes with broadly earmarked and unearmarked funds.
Donors providing earmarked funding in 2019:
European Union, Germany, Denmark, Republic of Korea, Australia, Japan, Norway, CERF, Russian, Federation, Kuwait, UN Programme on HIV/AIDS and Private donors