Danish Contributions to UNHCR
In 2017, Denmark signed a five-year agreement with UNHCR, committing to continue providing flexible funding and providing support to innovative solutions.
Denmark has consistently been a top donor to UNHCR. In 2020, it was the 6th biggest donor and the second largest donor per capita.
Key facts about Denmark as a UNHCR donor
- During the Global Refugee Forum, Denmark pledged DKK 50 million per year in 2020 and 2021 for UNHCR’s development of innovative solutions.
- Denmark contributes DKK 50 million to UNHCR’s Emergency Reserve Fund at the start of every year.
- In 2020, Denmark contributed a total of USD 101 million to UNHCR, of which USD 34.6 million was unearmarked.
- Denmark also contributed USD 14.6 million to UNHCR’s coronavirus emergency response in 2020.
- Denmark’s thematic focus areas: Solutions and Innovation.
For more information on Danish and Nordic and Baltic funding, follow us on Twitter.
Read more about the impact of Denmark’s contributions
A new initiative, launched today, will substantially improve the way in which clean water is provided in refugee communities. Set up by UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, with generous funding from the Grundfos Foundation and the Danish and German governments, Project Flow...
Unearmarked funding from the Nordic countries helps UNHCR continue protecting and assisting Yemenis caught in one of the world’s largest but most underfunded crises.
For over four decades, Afghans have been forced to flee their homes and seek safety in neighboring Pakistan. With Danish funding, young refugees can receive an education and the future opportunities that come with it.
Vital contributions from Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Norway and Sweden helped UNHCR ensure winter assistance to Syrian refugees in Jordan and other countries in the region.
As natural disasters exacerbate forced displacement, emergency support from Denmark allows UNHCR to provide shelter to vulnerable people in DR Congo.
Support from Denmark provides much needed aid to people fleeing conflict and climate impact in the Sahel
In a region with one of the world’s fastest growing displacement crises, Danish emergency funding helps UNHCR to continue to provide life-saving protection and support.