Duty station: Stockholm, Sweden
Contract/Level: Local Support, Level LICA 6 (equivalent to G6)
Duration: July 2018 – 31 December 2018
To work in the context of the Eritrean segment of a project called E-Platform: Telling the Real Story – Information campaign targeting Somali and Eritrean migrants.
This information campaign mainly reaches out to Eritrean and Somali refugees in countries of transit and first asylum in Africa, with a view to inform them about the full scope of the perils and difficulties related to irregular onward movements to Europe. The information campaign facilitates sharing of personal stories aimed at counter the smugglers’ narrative and enable concerned individuals to take an informed decision. When possible, it also supports information sharing on access to services while on transit as well as regular opportunities and pathways. Telling the Real Story does not only rely on traditional media (television, radio and printed material), but makes extensive use also of new, web-based media (e-platform and social media).
The objectives of Telling the Real Story are:
- Dispel rumours and counter smugglers’ narrative by using testimonials to illustrate the real dangers of irregular migration and clearly specify who qualifies for asylum and who doesn’t;
- Maintain and reinforce the intra-community discourse
The Project Associate, will be stationed in Stockholm, Sweden and will be responsible for the following:
- Monitor social media platforms documenting conversations and content shared across social networks that would be relevant to the project;
- Disseminate the project to diaspora communities and on platforms in which Eritreans engage;
- Analyse existing data in order to provide information on trends and lead research into gaps in information concerning onwards movement;
- Drive engagement and awareness-raising activities through combining different communication ouptputs aimed at reframing the discourse to counter the narrative of the smugglers and inform the refugees of the full scope of dangers associated with irregular movement to and life in Europe;
- Transcribing videos, audio and written testimonies from the Tigrinya language to English meaning-to-meaning to text format and vice versa;
- Under the supervision of the Project Manager, organize diaspora mobilization seminars and deliver oral presentations in English and Tigrinya;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of effective communications and outreach to enhance visibility of Telling the Real Story;
- Identify and gather stories from refugees and asylum seekers in Europe;
- Build outreach networks within the Eritrean diaspora and media;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor Degree in Communication, social work or relevant field;
- 2 years of relevant experience;
- Capacity to develop strategic communication visions;
- Conceptual and practical understanding of protection issues and approaches in humanitarian contexts, including the constraints, sensitivities and risks associated with such work;
- Basic knowledge of UNHCR’s mandate;
- General familiarity with the regional mixed migration dynamics in the Mediterranean region;
- Experience with social media and monitoring;
- Good written and oral communication in English and Tigrinya;
- Ability to establish and foster successful partnerships and collaborations particularly with the diaspora and diaspora led organisation;
- Experience in transcribing raw video and audio footage;
- Demonstrate experience in engaging with online communities to build awareness and generate dialogue;
- Experience of working with persons of concern;
- AnbBuild on the existing influencer database;
- Experience with WordPress and creating images for social media;
- Experience of using Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat is a plus.
The Project Associate will be based in Stockholm therefore MUST be able to work in Sweden.
The Consultancy contract will be issued by UNOPS, starting July 2018 up to 31 December 2018.
Send a UNHCR Personal History Form (P 11) and a motivation letter in English by 20th June, 2018 for the attention of Ms. Christa Awuor Odinga at [email protected]
Applications without a P11 will not be considered.
Please note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter